Elk Grove Township strengthens the community by helping residents meet both their short-term and long-term needs. Our core services are social services, and residential property taxpayer advocacy.
Our mission is to empower individuals and families by providing services that enhance their lives. By collaborating with our community partners, we provide for the health, safety, and general welfare of all Township residents in need. In recognizing our fiduciary responsibility to our taxpayers, we ensure all programs and services are evaluated and provided in the most fiscally responsible manner possible.
About The Township
What is a Township?
A township is a basic division of a county, a primary unit of local government having the powers to levy taxes, pass local ordinances and regulations, and provide various services as authorized by state statutes and elected officials.
Ideally, a township is a portion of territory composed of six miles on each side — 36 square miles in area. However, this area often varies due to both geographical and political reasons. Elk Grove Township is about 31 square miles having lost an area at its southeast corner, now part of O’Hare Field, to the City of Chicago.
The boundaries of Elk Grove Township are Central Road on the north; Mount Prospect Road on the east; Devon Avenue on the south; and Rohlwing Road; (generally Route 53) on the west. About 66% of Elk Grove Village is in our Township; 55% of Mount Prospect; 20% of Des Plaines; 15% of Arlington Heights and 10% of Rolling Meadows. About a fourth of the geographic area of the Township is unincorporated, a large portion of which is forest preserve
% of community in Township
There are seven elected Township officials. The Supervisor is the chief administrative official, Chairman of the Board of Trustees, Treasurer of all funds and Supervisor of General Assistance. The Clerk is the secretary of the Board of Trustees, custodian of all Township records and has responsibility in all matters relating to elections. The Assessor is in charge of all matters pertaining to tax assessment, tax complaints, and tax relief grants. The Supervisor and the Clerk, along with the four Trustees, make up the Board of Trustees, which is the legislative branch of the Township. They examine all township accounts, set township policy, determine budgets and tax levies, and serve on various township boards and commissions. The Board of Trustees passes budgets for each fiscal year, which runs from April 1st to March 31st.
The Town Fund Budget covers administrative and operating costs, salaries, supplies, maintenance, renovation and social service programs. It is funded primarily with real estate tax money plus some small amounts of miscellaneous income and investment interest.
The General Assistance Budget covers operating expenses and support for the needy that qualify under the general assistance guidelines. It is funded by real estate tax money, contributions from the public and businesses, and investment income.
The abolishment of the Road District in 2020 resulted in the elimination of the associated staff payroll. Responsibility for creating the levy and budget as well as for the management of the Road Department to maintain and repair the township’s unincorporated roads and bridges transferred to the Elk Grove Township Board of Trustees.
Approximately 1% of a township homeowner’s real estate taxes fund the combined Town Fund, General Assistance and Road and Bridge budgets. The other 99% go to Schools, Cook County, and your local Village/City, Libraries, Park Districts, Water Reclamation, Forest Preserve, Cook County Health Facilities, and other governmental entities.
Stay Informed with Our Newsletter
Our newsletter helps to keep you informed on what’s happening in the township. These are mailed to townships residents. Subscribe below to receive electronically.