Be a Safe Bike Rider
As we approach another bike riding season here are a few
bike safety tips to help make biking more fun!
Just like driving a car, there are rules for riding your bike:
- Ride single file on the right side of the road with traffic.
- Young bicyclists are encouraged to ride on the sidewalk.
- Be careful of people walking—warn them that you are coming.
- Always ride only one person on a bike.
- Obey all traffic laws, signs and signals including traffic lights.
- Look behind you before turning or moving left.
- Use hand signals to let drivers know what you are planning to do.
- Look for cars backing up—they may not see you.
- Don’t ride too close to parked cars, the doors may open unexpectedly.
- If riding at night, your bike must have a headlight and reflectors.
- Be aware of vehicles at all times.
- Wear a proper fitting helmet at all times.
- If you feel unsafe, walk your bike!