Drop boxes are at several locations now through November 30. Elk Grove Township and School District 59 are partnering once again for this second year giving program.
Community Consolidated School District 59 and Elk Grove Township are continuing their partnership for the Snow Angels campaign. Now through November 30, the program encourages area residents to donate gently used or new snow pants and boots for girls and boys, whose families are unable to purchase these items due to financial hardship.
“When we learned that children attending our D59 schools were unable to participate in recess without these items, we decided we needed to do something about it,” said Mike Sweeney, Elk Grove Township supervisor. “We partnered with the school district and reached out to our business and faith-based communities, and were able to create a very successful first-year program.”
In 2015, more than 600 snow boots and pants were donated at drop box locations throughout Elk Grove Township. Sweeney is hoping that donations will continue to grow, so that all children can keep warm and enjoy recess during the winter months.
Penske Truck Rental and Parkway Bank both partnered with the Township and school district to help make the program possible, along with area churches including Prince of Peace UMC, Shinnyo-en Chicago and Christus Victor Lutheran Church.
Community members are asked to drop off donations in the drop box at any of the following locations, now through November 30:
- Elk Grove Township: 2400 S. Arlington Heights Rd, Arlington Heights
- All District 59 Schools and D59 Admin Building: 2123 S. Arlington Heights Rd, Arlington Heights
- Parkway Banks: 1408 W. Algonquin Rd., Arlington Heights, 1590 S. Elmhurst Rd., Mt. Prospect, 951 Meacham Rd., Elk Grove Village.
- Prince of Peace United Methodist Church: 1400 S. Arlington Heights Rd., Elk Grove Village
- Shinnyo-en Chicago Temple: 120 E. Devon Ave., Elk Grove Village
- Christus Victor Lutheran Church: 1045 S. Arlington Heights Rd., Elk Grove Village
For more information, please call Elk Grove Township at 847-437-0300.